Monday, December 15, 2008

Gingerbread House

Saturday evening we headed to the Young Chefs' Academy to make a gingerbread house. I figured it would be great to to let the kids have the experience of building a gingerbread house, and since we weren't doing it at home, I had no mess to clean up!

The excitement was a little lost on the kids though. Jonathan just wanted to eat everything. Likewise, Clara was worried that if we put the candy on the house, that meant she couldn't eat it right then. As a result, she grumpily told us 'no' every time we suggested something. Still, we all managed to work through it and have fun.

Clara tried squeezing out the icing, but it was a little difficult for her.


So, Chris and I helped her with the icing.

You can see Jonathan was already helping himself to the cookies!



Jonathan found it a little more fun to run around in the lobby between snacking sessions.

Daddy and Jonathan hanging out in the lobby.


Jonathan did help put Mike and Ike's along the roof for Christmas lights.


The had popcorn and hot chocolate for us to snack on while we built our houses, as if the candy wasn't enough!



The back of the house, complete with dog house and campfire!

There was a Christmas tree and snowman on the side of our house.

The front of the house. We did eventually turn that top peppermint patty into a wreath, check it out in the next picture.

The finished project. We even had Santa going down the chimney. For the record, Jonathan does not suck his thumb, he must have had some icing on it or something, I don't know.

We were pretty proud of our house. Chris is ready to quit his day job and enter gingerbread house competitions. I asked him to hold off on that idea for now though!

3 comments:

Chris Stein said...

I didn't actually say I wanted to quit my day job, I like my job. I just said maybe we should enter some competitions, apparently I am creative..................who knew.

Grandma Yonka said...

Yeah...........who knew????;)

Katy said...

it looks GREAT - our attempts last year were disasters...i think you're smart to do it at Young Chef's - what fun!!