Wednesday, February 25, 2009

If It's Not One Thing...

So the morning sickness seems to be subsiding as it usually does at this stage in my pregnancy. Then the heartburn kicked in and was especially rough last week, but even that seems to be getting a little better -- so things should be good right? No Worries...
...Except that it would appear that we have a mouse problem. Let me start by saying our house is NOT dirty. Not to mention, I have a cat...and a dog for what it's worth, which apparently isn't much, because there's still mice in my house. I have no idea how many and I have yet to see one, but we've found the droppings. This is of course exactly what every mother of 2 small children and one on the way wants to hear...that there are mice in her house. At first we thought we had caught it early, that there was probably just one -- and we even thought maybe it went away on it's own since we cleaned up the evidence and it was days before we saw more. No such luck. A few days later we noticed that the mouse trap Chris set was empty...no mouse, no peanut butter either. Chris kinda grinned a sheepish, "my bad, I'll set it on 'sensitive' this time". So he loaded it with more peanut butter and set it on sensitive. We still have yet to find a mouse, but have found more droppings not just under the kitchen sink, but in the laundry room closet, the coat closet and, yes, today even the pantry. To make it all worse, Chris leaves on Sunday for a month in VA...so who gets to empty the traps once he's gone? You guessed it, my neighbor's husband :)
I called the housing maintenance office since technically this should be their issue as well as mine, and it seems to be a common problem here on base. Their solution is to drop off some glue traps for me to put out - ????? Some help that is. Who gets to remove the live stuck mouse then? So I'm going to try and drag Chris back out to town with me tonight to pick up more mouse catching supplies and set them everywhere we can think of, which really isn't many places when you also have 2 small children and pets to worry about! Lord, give me strength!
And as if a mouse infestation isn't enough, the freezer appears to be broken. If the thawed meat wasn't proof enough, the ice bin full of water was. So I let the housing office know that little tidbit of information when I called this morning as well, yet here it is 3:15pm and no one has been by to check on the problem before all my food goes bad. I guess technically it won't go bad as long as we cook it all in the next couple days. Lucky for me the freezer has scarcely been full since my morning sickness hit a couple months ago. However the amount of 'convenience foods' in there has gone up, and there's really no saving those once they thaw :)
Say a prayer for a quick resolution to these nuisances and that once there is resolution, we also get a break for a while.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Oh good grief Torie! When it rains, it pours, right? My stomach lurches with you in thinknig of a mouse running around, and then to think of you losing all your "helper" foods too - ugh! You and the kids should just come out to VA with Chris and visit all of us!

Cornbread said...

They used to sell mouse traps that were enclosed so you didn't have to worry about pets and kids getting into them. They worked pretty well for me. They may still sell them.