Tuesday, July 28, 2009

1-2-3-4, We're not scared anymore!!!!

Many of you know bike riding has been a bit of a challenge for Clara. She's had her bike for about 1.5 years and still not proficient with it. Just around the time Chris left in May for deployment, I had her riding the bike fairly well. She still has that handle on the back, for me to help her get started, but once she's going, she's pretty steady, can ride up and down the street and around the cul de sac with no help. She knows how to stop the bike, get off on her own and walk it to a safe place (the grass) when she's done with it, but seems to have stalled there. She's still too timid to attempt those starts on her own, and you're not going to see her doing anything crazy like riding up onto the sidewalk any time soon...I'm even a little skeptical about whether she can handle a left turn, as she always turns to the right in the street.

It's not as if we've had a lot of practice time lately either. With swim lessons, zoo camp, and 105+ degree weather, we've been reluctant to get in that practice time over the last month, so she's perhaps a little more shaky right now than she was a month ago.

Chris asked me a couple nights ago how her bike riding was going and I explained we hadn't been doing much with it lately, but then took the opportunity to let Clara know Daddy was asking about it. To my surprise she willingly got back on her bike, without whining and did really well, for a month of no practice. As you can see, when she's a little unsure, she insists on full pads (helmet, knees, elbows, and gloves). As she gets more comfortable she goes with just the helmet. I don't argue, since I know if she were to ever to take a good spill on her bike with no pads, it would probably take another good year to get her back on the bike! I tried giving her the incentive of a Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus CD she wants...once she can ride her bike 100% on her own (including starts and stops) and I can take off that handle, the CD is hers. I know I'll hate having to listen to it over and over, as I'm not a fan, but Clara responds well to incentive! Today she got a new piece of incentive....

...a biking buddy! That's right, Jonathan took it upon himself to pull out his big boy bike that Santa brought him this year. He rode up and down the street for a good 30-45 minutes this evening, and even whined when I told him he had to get off so we could come in and eat dinner. It's fun to see the difference in personalities again between Clara and Jonathan. Where as Clara's first instinct is to always have assistance first and foremost, every time I saw Jonathan stall, and asked him if he needed help, he said, "No, I can do it." (!!!!!) I'm excited for him, and excited that this has renewed Clara's interest in bike riding.

He rode around proud of himself, chanting the mantra I taught Clara, "1-2-3-4, I'm not scared anymore!"


Clara couldn't wait to get on her bike and ride along with him. It was funny when she'd try to teach him how to do stuff, seeing as how she's still a little shaky herself! -- but that's what big sisters are for!

My Biker Boy!


We even took some videos for Daddy! I know this will make his day to see the kids enjoying their bikes and working independently!


Riding off into the sunset!

1 comment:

Grandma Yonka said...

Great job Clara and Jonathan riding your bikes. When we come to visit you can get Grandpa Michael to help you too if you like. You are both doing so well!