Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Gym

Today the kids had gymnastics at Little Gym again. Jonathan's class is typically on Saturday, but they're closed this coming Saturday for the 4th of July holiday, so we made up his class today. Actually, I also switched him out of the class with younger kids (ranging 19 mo-3yrs) and into a class with older kids (3yrs-5yrs). Both classes are ones that combine 2 age groups, but none of the times for classes in just his age group are convenient to our summer schedule. Otherwise, he'd be more appropriately placed in either a class of just 2.5-3 yr olds or 3-4yr olds. I felt he was too big and a little too rough in the class with the younger kids, so I moved him up. The biggest difference is that now he's not in a 'mommy and me' type class. The 3-5yr old class is one he goes into on his own with the other kids. I was worried about him being able to take direction and stay with the group, but he did fine this past Saturday when he tried it out. Though it makes me sad to not be in there with him. He seems to really enjoy sharing that time with me. Today we were able to do his make-up class in the 'mommy and me' class of 2.5-3yr olds. I think it's the best fit for him (and me), but unfortunately it's not at a time that fits into our schedule most weeks with swim lessons and more zoo camp coming up. Regardless, we had a blast today.

Today's class started with a little coordination practice -- golfing!



Jonathan maintained the same theory he had when we went to the miniature golf place before Chris left -- Why bother putting from a distance, when you can just pick the ball up and set it down right next to the hole?...Just increasing the odds, I guess.



He practiced walking on the balance beam again...


...even without holding on...


...and pretended to be a dog on the high balance beam.


This was the 'skill of the week', walking his hands and feet down these bars. This was the first time he did it, with Mrs. Audrey helping. He thought it was so fun that he did it later on his own. Once he understood what he was supposed to be doing, he didn't need any help, except to get up there in the first place. I didn't take any pics of him doing it on his own, because I was too afraid to have something in my hands in case he fell, but he didn't need me.


When he finished walking down the bars, he was supposed to swing his feet down, while still hanging on with his hands. (He did need help with that part both times too).


They let Clara come in to join with the closing of class -- she was sooo excited.


She caught a bubble on her finger!

We had to go back for Clara's class this evening as well. I still haven't figured out how to get pictures of her in her class when I have Jonathan with me. (I really need to find a sitter!) She's been doing great in her class as well, being brave and loving every minute of it!

1 comment:

Katy said...

the good thing about him being in his OWN class (not a mommy and me) is that you'll actually get a BIT of a break!! it's good for the both of you i think!