Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tiny Tots

Clara has been starting to feel a little left out or pushed aside lately. At this point Chris or I would typically take Clara for some special one on one time, but that's simply not possible for me to do right now while Chris is away. I think her feelings are in large part coming from the fact that she doesn't quite understand why it is that I go to Jonathan's tumbling class with him and don't come to her class. I don't think she realizes that my presence is mandatory in Jonathan's class. And, of course, since Jonathan and I go for a walk each day that Clara is in her class, she knows that I get plenty special time with Jonathan and I could tell she was struggling with the whole idea. She told me numerous times last week that she missed me, as if it's not enough that we're apart more now with her being in Tiny Tots, but I've also traded her in for special time with Jonathan. So I asked her if I could come to her class with her. She was really excited that I would want to come, but then broke my heart as I was putting her to bed Sunday. She told me she had a secret to tell me, and then whispered in my ear that it was OK if I changed my mind and decided I didn't want to go to her class. I was saddened by the way she seemed to think it was a burden for me to come. I assured her I wanted to be there as long as she still wanted me to. She was glad to hear it. So Monday Jonathan and I headed to Tiny Tots with Clara. I had spoken with her teachers last week, so they would expect me. We had a great time and Clara seems to be feeling a little better about everything.

The day started with dancing on the rug as we waited for the rest of our friends to come to class.


Then we did an art project. We colored tigers for this week's jungle theme.



Next was time for some free play. Clara diapered her babies...



then fed them breakfast.



There was even time to play a matching game with Mrs. Mila



and time to work on a few puzzles with Jonathan



and Emily



I was surprised that when it came time to go outside, the children wanted to bring a book to read instead.



We came in and washed our hands for snack time.



Snack was 'Monkey Mix' in keeping with the Jungle theme.

The morning went well. Jonathan was so good and so excited with all the 'new' toys that he played pretty well off on his own with the blocks and cars, leaving me to give Clara some of that much needed one on one attention. I got a lot out of the day myself. I don't think Jonathan ever looked up to make sure I was still there, which I never would have guessed. That definitely put my mind at ease some about being able to leave him with a sitter (once I find one!) Plus, I saw the way Clara interacted with her friends and she's not as much a 'follower' as I thought she'd be when around kids her own age. In the past I've only been able to really watch her play with kids slightly older which typically leaves her doing anything they tell her to. I've been worried she wouldn't learn to stand up for herself. I'm starting to see my kids are much stronger than I give them credit for.

Clara and I have also scheduled some special girl time this weekend. She's going to have her nap on Saturday so that she'll be ready to stay up late and have a good old fashioned slumber party with me. She requested the Muppets as her movie. We'll make popcorn and paint our toenails. I haven't thought of much past that, but I want her to feel extra special, so if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them (keeping in mind that she's only 4)!

2 comments:

Grandma Yonka said...

You could make cookies with the cookie cutter I gave Clara. Tell Clara we all lve her just as much as Jonathan. I'll bet when the toes are painted and the movies on and the popcorn is popped, the best part will be CLara and Victoria snuggling on the couch. Tell Clara I miss har and Jonathan so much, I wish they were nearer so CLara and Grandma Yonka could have some one on one time. SHe is such a good girl and to me will always be so special--she was so tiny, and so early, and I got to hold her the next day, and if all of that isn't enough, she is my first. Thank makes it very important. I guess I better sign this off. I;ve been going through old pictures and then this, and somtimes it is really difficult the remember all the good things. Hugs and kisses to everyone.

Grandma Gina said...

You are on the right track Torie. A slumber party. What a great idea. I remember two grown women dressing in look alike pajamas, eating lots of junk food, watching movies and having a great slumber party. That was a special night for us when we had to leave Chris behind in Norfolk. I know this will be a very special night for Clara. Tell her that she looks like such a big girl at her class and that I am very proud of her. Be sure and tell Jonathan what a big boy he is for entertaining himself at Clara's class and letting you be with Clara. You have beautiful children. Of course Grandma Yonka and I are just a little biased.