Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Brown Dog II

Jonathan, 22 months, snuggling Brown Dog when he wasn't feeling well


23 months, carrying around his 2 best friends : Brown Dog and Blue Dog


27 months, Waking up with Brown Dog and Blue Dog


3 years, Napping with Brown Dog and Blue Dog

A sad day a couple of weeks ago when I realized we had lost 'Brown Dog'. I clearly remember, we had him last in the van. I gave him to Matthew to play with after we dropped Jonathan off at school. Then we met Chris at Panera for breakfast, returned something at Marshalls and stopped by the Exchange before coming home. The problem is that when Matthew is done playing with something, he throws it off to the side. If the van door is closed, it simply goes to the floorboard, but is still in danger of falling out on the ground when the doors open. Of course, if the door is open, it will go straight to the ground. Since I can open and close the door with a button on the dash, I'm not always right there to catch these fallen things. Though I usually look for them since I'm familiar with the drill. However, Chris is not so familiar, and since Chris was with me I was not on my 'A' game, thinking I had help!
Jonathan asked for Brown Dog when we put him down for a nap that day. Chris looked briefly, then told Jonathan that 'Brown Dog must be taking a bath' (in the washer). I told Chris after he'd tucked Jonathan in that I believed he was actually in the van, but neither of us wanted to go out right then, and Jonathan was content in thinking Brown Dog was taking a bath, so why bother. Days later I realized it had been a few days since I had seen Brown dog and searched frantically through the van, in the garage, Jonathan's room, the washer, dryer and dirty clothes. I cried, I felt sick. I retraced my steps from 4 or 5 days earlier, going to each store and checking each lost and found, searching through parking lots and even looked in a couple trash cans...I cried. I felt foolish. Jonathan hadn't even asked for Brown dog since that first day. He didn't even seem to know he was missing, after all, he still had Blue Dog. It seemed Jonathan was past that phase, but I was not ready to let go. There are few things that mean so much to me to save from my children's childhood. Brown Dog and Blue Dog have been around since day one. Both are well loved, and well worn. Brown dog's stuffing had gathered in just his head and paws, making him extra floppy and cuddly, showing just how important and loved he was, and now he was gone! I was devastated, and Jonathan didn't even seem to notice...for a week. After about a week he looked at me all pouty as I tucked him in for his nap and said, "I fink I wost Brown Dog." I felt horrible, after all, it wasn't his fault. I gave it to Matthew, and I was careless in not looking out for it. At the same time I was relieved that he had finally noticed. I asked him if he'd want a new one if I could find one just like it. He said yes. So onto Amazon.com I went!


Brown Dog, II!!!!!!!!

Brown Dog II hasn't left Jonathan's side too much since he got him. It won't be long until he's just as floppy as the original!

No comments: