Thursday, March 27, 2008

Going to the Doctor


So I'm a little addicted to this blogging thing -- today was Clara's 4 year well child doctor's appointment and I took the camera. We found a really nice doctor here...and punctual too. We had a 9am appt. Clara got her check up and 4 shots and I was on my way by 10am (that's got to be some kind of record!) This is Clara and Jonathan reading books in the waiting room.


They checked her weight and height. She's 33.5 lbs (I'm sure Jonathan is about 30lbs at this point). I was too busy getting pictures, as you can see, to get her height info from the nurse.


They checked her BP and pulse. Clara took this opportunity to tell Jonathan to pay attention to how brave she was being.


Finally, they checked her eyesight and hearing. She did great for everything.


The doctor tested her general knowledge of colors, shapes, letters and animals by asking her a few questions and then tested some developmental stuff by asking her to draw some shapes and write her name. His conclusion was that she was a "very smart 4 year old", to which Clara replied, "I know." He said that were it not for her age, she would be ready for kindergarten this year.

She got 4 shots today (They went ahead and gave her the vaccinations she would need before kindergarten, even though she's got a year to go still). She was ready and prepared to be brave. She didn't cry a couple months back when she got her Hep A booster, so she was sure she could handle it this time as well, showing Jonathan how to be brave at the doctor. (He kind of freaks out when it's his turn to go). I told her over and over that it was OK to cry. Still, she maintained that she'd be brave and not cry. She was good for the first 2. The third one got her crying and she was still crying from that one when they gave her the 4th -- but she did great. I told her she was still very brave and I was very proud of her. She told me, "I still don't think I like shots." She left the doctor's office with 4 Snoopy band-aids, 2 stickers, a lollipop, and a toy - a great visit for all!

2 comments:

Grandma Gina said...

I can't wait to see the children again. I have been so busy with work and everything that some days I come home and just want to drop. These pictures and stories of Clara and Jonathan have become my daily pick-me-up. Thank you for blessing us with such beautiful grandchildren. I also thank God for my wonderful daughter-in-law. You are truly a blessing. Love and miss you.

Katy said...

I'm so glad you found a good pediatrician there - it will make a day GREAT or TERRIBLE!!! So glad it all went well!